June 19, 2010

Why I hate Facebook, sometimes.

It was love at first sight.

I was 21, working very hard at my first job. He was my colleague, my partner, my other half.

Three years later he was my husband, four more later he was my ex-husband.

Two years after that I came in to work, checked my email, placed some calls and logged on to Facebook, following my daily routine.

And there is was.

Right in the middle of the 'News Feed' staring right at me, a beautiful montage of my ex-husband's wedding.

Do I care? Not really.

Did I want to see it? Not at all.

Our divorce wasn't the nicest one, if they ever can be nice. And despite initial naive attempts to stay friends, we didn't.

I didn't seek it out, I didn't look for it. It was just there, it found me.
One of my Facebook 'friends' posted it and it ended up on my feed.

This whole Facebook thing is still a bit new. And we haven't really seen how it would affect our lives over the years.

When we turn the six degrees of separation into reality on Facebook, are we getting a little too socially connected?


1 comment:

  1. I wonder if there is a term yet to describe this phenomena of learning about important life moments through mutual friends of loved ones on Facebook.

    I also wonder what kinds of social tensions or norms are developing regarding remaining connected to mutual friends on social networking sites. I know in the real world it can often be a source of tension as couples have to "choose sides" between a separated couple when doing things like inviting to parties and what not. It must be the same to some extent in Facebook, though perhaps more fluid.

    ReplyDelete