July 5, 2010

Pick up line 2.0


Happy Independence Day and Happy July the 4th weekend!


Just like millions of proud Americans I have celebrated the matter by going to a barbecue party to Long Island and to see the fireworks over the Hudson River.


And believe it or not, the following pickup line has helped to start a conversation and to get a perfect spot to see the fireworks.


You wonder what the line was? Ok, won’t keep you waiting any longer – “Is that an Evo?”


Yup, just like that. This short and simple line does wonders, seriously.


At first at the barbecue, I was participating in this awkward moment of several people sitting near each other and not knowing what to talk about. And then I have spotted a new and shiny Evo, one person was playing with and all it took me to sparkle a long and exciting conversation was say “Is that an Evo?”


Not sure what so magic about it, but there is something special, for sure. I think it has to do with the ego. No, not Evo, but ego.


People are very proud of their gadgets, they want to be noticed and from I’m sensing more and more, there is this group of people who don’t want to be a part of now-mainstream iPhone crowd, they want to be different, so they opt out of the Apple-mania and often switch to Android-based Evo.


The other instance when that pick-up line made wonders for me was at the Fireworks.


Imagine – Hoboken boarkwalk, packed with people and more are still coming. All of the ‘front seats’ – the space by the railing have been taken by fireworks fanatics who have been camping on their chairs and towels for hours.


I showed up a lazy half hour before the show and of course was facing the possibility of watching the fireworks through thick greenery of the trees feet away from the water edge.


I walked around and jut stopped for a moment to contemplate my options. And there it happened. One guy in a group of young-looking happy-campers who called the ownership of oh-so-wanted-by-me inches of front-row railing pulled out an Evo. And the words “Is that an Evo?” just flew out of my mouth.


Minutes later I was invited to join their party, offered a full-bar selection of drinks, a cigar and a hookah. I have politely declines all, but a diet coke and a perfect spot to view the show.


So there you have it – being on top of latest technology can be very beneficial, in many unexpected ways.


PS

Just so you could enjoy the view of the fireworks with me too, here is a pic.



Happy 4th!



No comments:

Post a Comment